Announcements : Passport Acceptance Fair
Announcement: Passport Acceptance Fair
Event Date: 03/13/2021
Need a passport? Let us help you!
IWU Passport Acceptance Fair, March 13
IWU will host a Passport Acceptance Fair on Saturday, March 13th, 2021, 1:00-4:00 on the third floor of the CLA. A passport agent will be on hand to review your materials and accept applications, and the International Office will cover application fees for up to 20 students on a first-come-first-served basis. (Contact Stacey Shimizu, firstname.lastname@example.org, in the International Office for more information.)
STEP-BY-STEP HOW TO PREPARE FOR THE FAIR
To apply for a passport, it is very important that you follow the instructions detailed below and prepare in advance.
1. Sign up for a pre-event document check with one of the designated reviewers on campus.
2. Ensure that the following documents are in your possession and ready to be presented at the time of your document check. NOTE: There are no exceptions to what is detailed here. Everything must be completed as described, and each item is required. For more information, visit the U.S. State Department website.
- Completed Passport Application Form DS-11 – UNSIGNED
You can use an online Application Form or download the form and complete it by hand. For the online form, follow the link, accept the terms and click "Submit". On the next page, click "Fill Out Online and Print." For the hard copy version of the form, be sure to use black ink when completing it. Do not sign the completed form. It must be signed in the presence of the passport agent at the Passport Acceptance Fair.
- Proof of US Citizenship
You must provide original documentation (not a photocopy) proving that you are a US citizen. Acceptable documents include a US birth certificate; an undamaged passport issued before you turned 16; a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth; a Certificate of Naturalization; or a Certificate of Citizenship.
- Proof of Identity
The following items are acceptable forms of ID. Photocopies not accepted.
- Valid or expired, undamaged US passport or passport card
- Valid IL driver's license with photo
- Valid IL state ID with photo (may be asked for additional ID)
- Valid out-of-state driver's license or ID with photo (you will be asked for an additional ID)
- US military or military dependent ID
- Trusted Traveler IDs (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, and NEXUS cards)
- Official Passport Photo. Official passport photos can be obtained at Walgreen's on Main Street and cost $14.99 for a set of two. Photos made at home, more than 6 months old, or cut from previous pictures will not be accepted.
- Required Application Fees
The fee for first-time applicants is $145 for a passport book (two checks, one for $110 and one for $35). Regular processing for passports now take 10-12 weeks; if you want you passport more quickly, within 4-6 weeks, you must pay an additional $60 fee to expedite processing. Checks (personal, certified, cashier's, traveler's) and Money Orders payable to "U.S. Department of State" only: cash and credit cards will not be accepted. For students who receive funding to cover the application, IWU will pay only for the passport book ($110 + $35) and we will have the checks ready to attach to your application at the fair.
Once you have compiled all of the required items, bring all of them to your pre-event document check appointment. At that time, we will check your application to make sure it is complete and complies with the government's guidelines. This will also provide an opportunity for you to ask any questions you might have about the passport application process or about the Passport Acceptance Fair.